Come Fly With Me!
My nighttime dreams (as well as most daytime ones) were filled with flights of fancy. I would run toward the edge of a cliff and keep running until my precipitous fall towards the waiting ground. Of course, I never hit bottom. At the last minute, the forces of gravity would release me to float above the valley, soaring two or three feet above the sidewalk. For some reason I was never able to gain much more altitude than that. The one Halloween I wanted to trick-or-treat as Superman I wore blue jeans, a blue t-shirt with a red 'S' pinned on my chest, and a red towel tied around my neck. My parents were hard-working, middle-class people who wouldn't splurge on a costume I was only going to wear one time! So at every neighbor's door I was asked "And who are you supposed to be?"
![]() |
| Superman and Batman poster by Alex Ross |
This technological age we now live in makes it even more difficult to maintain any kind of daily anonymity. The moment a celebrity, politician, pseudo-celebrity, or pseudo-politician steps over the line, someone is there to snap a photo, or publish a blog about the transgression. So, obviously, Natsumi Hayashi is unconcerned about her secret identity. Though she does not shy away from publicity- photographing herself as she levitates and flies around the city and countryside- all I am able to come up with is that she lives in Tokyo, is female, and is not a 17 year old school girl. I don't even know if she uses her gift of flight for good or evil.
But she sure is having fun!
![]() |
| http://yowayowacamera.com/banana/ |




So you were born the wrong sex at the wrong time in the wrong place. Not easy then to bring your fantasy to life. Means you'd better hold on to that red towel a while longer. Or apprentice out to the Asian chick....
ReplyDeleteJust keep that "S" pinned to your chest and I'll still fly with you---great trip so far!