Friday Fictioneers- Thus To Tyrants


Every Friday authors from around the world gather at madison-woods to share their 100-words and offer constructive criticism and encouragement to each other. This creates an opportunity for free reading of very fresh fiction! Readers are encouraged to comment as well, even if to just offer impressions or express confusion. This is my contribution! 

Photo by Maggie Duncan


"I have too great a soul to die like a criminal."

And too great an opinion of yourself, Sir, I thought, but said nothing. He was seated on the ground, his back against the stump of a tree. I set his leg with what I had, a length of fencing strapped round and made fast by strands of muslin sheeting.

"It will be daylight soon," he stated. "What of the others?"

"Johnson and Seward still live."

He stroked the dark moustache as if finding crumbs upon his lips. “I shouted Sic semper before I fired. I think I have done well.”

(Both the first and final bits of dialogue are verbatim from the diary of John Wilkes Booth)

Comments

  1. What impact! Deftly fashioned, perfect interpretation of the photo. Makes history come alive, in the best sense. As a huge fan of Lincoln, I appreciate that.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melinda! I was afraid I left too much out so I added the tag about Booth sometime after your comment. I wascalready over the 100 word challenge by one word so had to cheat!

      Delete
  2. death to tyrants.... interesting, Lincoln seemed to be compassionate.

    Good story....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing something here. I caught it as being a Civil War story but Lincoln? Interesting vignette in any case.
    http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/escape/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rochelle- For some rason I can not comment on your story in wordpress. But you are missing something in mine. The man on the ground is John Wilkes Booth. The words are actually from the last entry in his diary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps my comment was misleading. I am into all things Lincoln. And this is indeed part of his story, but as aftermath, when John Wilkes Booth was being treated for a broken leg following the assassination he perpetrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul...Thank you for adding the tag that a portion comes from Booth's diary. Had no idea a diary existed. I'm here: www.triplemoonstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting nibble of history here, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a non american and having no knowledge of american history, it took me going through the comments to understand the context, Thanks Melinda, for the additional inputs. Regardless of that, story itself leaves very strong,long lasting impact. Knowing the history of course changes things, but reading the words alone made me relive the whole scene again. very well done.

    Mine is here...
    http://reeflections.wordpress.com/2012/08/25/eloped-in-the-mist/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I was hoping enough of a story came through without having to elaborate.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful journey to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested in knowing more of the characters and back story of where, who and how two men were killed, intentionally or accidentally and if the killer is actually a real life person in historical accounts. Good images and dialogue. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JeMJ- Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States who was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth, the man on the ground. He broke his leg during his escape and was on the run for 12 days. Johnson was the vice president and Seward was the secretary of state, who both survived the attempt on their lives that same night. The narrator of my story is the only fictional character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooo, history + flash fiction. Classy and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the period tone of the piece. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johnson and Seward were the first clues and, of course, the broken leg. But did Booth actually say (or write) "I have too great a soul to die like a criminal."? Very interesting reading your last line which is not mentioned too often. (Isn't the jury still out on whether Dr. Mudd was actually aware of the plot or am I behind the times?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online is an excerpt from the final entry in Booth's journal. Those two lines are in there. I'm not a Lincoln, or Booth, scholar but the last I heard they were still unsure about Mudd. Thank you for reading and for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Pleased to read those two quotes--They certainly reinforce the image we have of Booth today.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the history lesson for those of us not well versed in American history. The story is an enjoyable read. Glad you came by my blog and I appreciate your fine comments and view point.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can echo your Jackson vs. Adams comment to me as you've written a good story with interesting information and two great quotes in a few lines--a very successful post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thank you for allowing for me
    to comment!

    my website - oticon hearing aid repair

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts