Mother's Day 2011

It's a lazy Sunday afternoon. Cloudy, windy. Not a day to work out in the yard. M. says I caused the wind advisory by blowing the leaves from the patio yesterday. As if God, looking down, said "you call that a leaf blower?" And yet, here she is  picking up dead twigs from the ground. I usually enjoy watching her- she gets such enjoyment out of working in the yard. Yet today she seems restless. Preoccupied? She fell asleep earlier- though she says she was only resting her eyes- listening to Norah Jones, R. Carlos Nakai, Sissel.

There are no smiles today, none in passing- as is usual. Yet there were no words between us. Ennui? Boredom?

She has now settled down in front of the computer. This is not the Mother's Day I would have wished for her. But we are going to her son, Adam's, house this evening and so couldn't decide to go anywhere beforehand. I feel as if I should have been better at entertaining her today. Taking her for brunch,, buying her flowers. But she has forbid me purchasing bouquets, and she says she's not my mother. Still, I feel negligent. Maybe I'll run up to the store and get a card. A balloon. Boy, it's tough being Jewish. Even if only by half. It's all my fault....

So, I've run up to the store and bought a card. When I get back, she's in the yard again. Not a word, nor a smile. It's as if I'm not even there. So I leave the card on the kitchen counter. She hasn't even noticed.

Strange day.

Comments

  1. I don't know what was "off", but I can imagine. And it had nothing to do with you. Sometimes you just can't fix everything. But tomorrow is always another day.

    And it was a fine one at that, no?

    You and Buck, just sensitive guys, huh? (In which case you could get me a horse and I'll never be down or off or whatever....)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts