The Numbers Game
You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old. ~George Burns
I married Arleen when I was twenty-seven. She was three years older. That would make her thirty when we married. An important fact. To her. She was always sensitive about her age.Maybe because she married someone as old as her younger brother. Maybe not. Who knows?
A person is always startled when he hears himself seriously called an old man for the first time. ~Oliver W. Holmes, Sr.
The first time a young sales clerk called her "Ma'am" she became furious. I laughed about it but she said, "I want to be there the first time someone calls you 'Sir'! See how you like it." Truth is, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, when I was old enough to get a senior discount at the movies I couldn't wait. Same for any other age related discount. But I'm missing the point.
As a graduate of the Zsa Zsa Gabor School of Creative mathematics, I honestly do not know how old I am. ~Erma Bombeck
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
So of course, me being me, I had to plan a surprise 50th birthday celebration for her.
Island Park was the stop on the Long Island Railroad just before Long Beach, where we lived. On my way home from work one night, I got off there and walked the two blocks to the restaurant. Paddy McGee's. Right on the bay.
The process of maturing is an art to be learned, an effort to be sustained. By the age of fifty you have made yourself what you are, and if it is good, it is better than your youth. ~Marya Mannes
It was around 6:30 pm and not yet daylight savings time, my path illuminated by the reflection of boat lights bouncing off the water. It was a quiet weeknight. I was able to discuss my wants over a complimentary glass of Amontillado Sherry with the owner. I would need the entire back room for Sunday brunch. An open menu, limited bar. The owner wanted to decorate but I told him I would handle that, too. I had already been in touch with a local party shop that would deliver black and purple balloon centerpieces for each table by 10:30 that morning. We would arrive at 11.
There is still no cure for the common birthday. ~John Glenn
That Sunday morning the kids, Bryan at 12 years old, and Matt at 11, were as excited as I was when I announced we were taking Mom out for a birthday brunch. When Arleen became suspicious, I told her the kids were acting up because they knew where we were going but had been sworn to secrecy. She had always wanted to go to Paddy McGee's- not because of the food but because of where it was situated, affording a beautiful view of the bay and numerous small craft and larger yachts.
The restaurant was within walking distance from our house so it didn't take us long to drive there. Maybe 5 minutes over the Long Beach Bridge.
I don't do alcohol anymore - I get the same effect just standing up fast. ~Author Unknown
I'm not sure where everyone parked, but when we pulled in to the lot, we saw no familiar cars. I had a momentary fear that no one would show, everyone forgot. I gave the host our name and he lead us through the dining room into the back. There was a split second of hesitation on Arleen's face as she first noticed our friend Peter, then other familiar faces, and recognition dawned. She tried to smile but I could tell there was anger beneath the facade. They yelled "surprise", and laughed and lifted there flutes of champagne to toast her birthday. After several glasses, she accepted that this particular cat was now out of the bag and I don't recall any fallout afterwards, when the party was over and everyone departed.
The other day a man asked me what I thought was the best time of life. "Why," I answered without a thought, "now." ~David Grayson
Arleen's birthday is March 17, which is what prompted me to write this. We are no longer married, though I'm relatively positive this surprise had nothing to do with the dissolution of our marriage. However, I'm not sure if she is still sensitive about her age. Therefore, I dare not say how old she is. But as for me, I just turned 63 and am loving it!
Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. ~Maurice Chevalier





Comments
Post a Comment