In appreciation for a job..., well, er..., done!
It just seemed like the right time of life to change my life. The new house was larger than the one I was in, yet the rent was less than I was paying. So, I decided to trade up in space and down in price. An easy decision!
Lynn, the woman I had grown increasingly fond of over the past year, offered all kinds of help in packing and unpacking, and even volunteered her sons to help. Yet three weeks before my move, she disappeared to sunny San Diego to care for her daughter, who was recuperating from shoulder surgery. And I was left to pack alone. Did Lynn even consider how inconsiderate that was? OK, so her daughter couldn't drive, couldn't cook, couldn't even shower. And sure, Lynn was only gone for two weeks. But in that amount of time I was only able to pack the bookshelf and very little else. Twenty or so small boxes of books. That was the extent of my motivation. That was, until the day before she returned. Then, I slammed through the house removing curtains, blinds, pictures, and patching holes in walls. I was even able to dismantle and remove from the premises an old desk that had been in the second bedroom. All this in order to impress her with how much I had achieved. That I had not been idle.
She was impressed!
The following week her help was invaluable. While I went to work, Lynn came by and proceeded to pack the kitchen completely, the linen closet, and most of the bathroom. But I was increasingly nervous about the move. Her sons only had one day off from work and it didn't seem fair to ask them for help. And did they really want to spend that one day moving a friend of their mother's? A friend they didn't know at all well? But Lynn kept insisting they would be there.
Yet the Saturday before, she couldn't reach them for confirmation.
Until that evening.
They said they'd be over around noon on Sunday,
Well, noon came and went. About 1 o'clock they called to say they were on their way. They finally arrived closer to two. We had already made a dozen or so trips back and forth between the homes, carrying whatever we could. I didn't hold out much hope of finishing by nightfall. But as long as we got the heavier pieces moved I figured I could store the balance in the garage until I could figure out how to move whatever was left over to the new house.
So Jared and Jordan and Adam all showed up about the same time and dove right in. There was no small talk beyond a handshake and a hello. We had a job to do and they were there to do it! Long story short, I still can't believe they were able to move everything within the space of a few hours. They made, maybe, half a dozen more trips between both houses- Jordan standing precariously in the bed of the truck each time to hold the contents in place. And there was minimal damage to any of the furniture. Or to Jordan.
Guys, I owe you one. Whenever you need help moving, keep me in mind.
But don't call me!
I'm too old for this!
I'm too old for this!


Hmmm, those guys are just plain crazy. Must be adopted.
ReplyDeleteSo you couldn't have done it without us, right? I can't believe how true and accurate the law that states everything costs twice as much and takes twice as long as you plan. I always look forward to moving and think it will be relatively easy. I am always stunned,sore and stupefied, once in the thick of it, how wrong I was. At least I'm consistent. But if you can weather moving chaos, you can probably master just about anything else. Congrats on your new home!